Going Social: 5 Things You Should Be Doing

likecommentshare

We’re in a highly social, face-to-face season. That got me thinking a lot about other ways of being social—social media, for instance. Its influence is epic. With social media driving marketing, branding, and meetings and events, what is the best way to start a social media strategy? Glad you asked! I just happen to have some tips for you.

  1. Conversation Calendar: As a planner, you need to decide what you want people talking about and when. Tailor your scheduled social posts to guide the conversation throughout the event, and don’t be afraid to change up the schedule if something unexpected happens and leads the event in a new direction (a high-profile speaker agreeing to do photo ops after a keynote, for example).
  2. Think Sight, Sound, and Action: The fastest-growing social platforms in 2014 were the ones that are highly visual (think Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest). People don’t just want to read what’s happening at your event. They want to see it. Tweet short videos of attendees and speakers, and post photos throughout the event of receptions, food, and decor.
  3. Give Influencers Something Special: You might have 500 followers on Twitter, but one of your speakers might have 500,000. Urge them to be active on social media, sharing event news with their own networks. In return, make them feel VIP. Give them special access at the event.
  4. 80/20 Rule: During an event, 80 percent of what’s going out on your networks should be about the event. The other 20 percent should be about the brand.
  5. Impact Report to Share with the C-Suite: Planners are used to creating post-con reports, but it should have an impact report that outlines how much social reach an event had. How many people tweeted on the #hashtag? How many shared photos on Instagram? Many companies are now looking at ROI from social media.smartphone

What social media tips do you have? We would love to hear. #EliteMeetings

Happy Planning

Danielle Childress

Danielle Childress

Danielle Childress (Dani) has planned everything from board meetings for 6 to product launches for 500 to the NFL Experience at the Super Bowl for 100,000.

Leave a Comment